Retra Flash - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Before going ahead please take a look at the technical specifications of the new Retra Flash and check out all the product images -> HERE.
- Are the dials illuminated? The colored indicator light on the back will illuminate the dials so they will be visible on night dives.
- Can I know which knob I am adjusting without looking at the dials? The mode and power knobs are different length so you can differentiate them by touch.
- Why does the strobe on the images only have 5 power levels when you are stating that it has 9? On the prototype we have only indicated the main power levels without the middle options. The production version will have these markings.
- What kind of flash tube does the Retra Flash use? The Retra Flash uses a high quality quartz glass linear flash tube.
- Where is the pilot light positioned? The pilot light is centrally positioned, below the linear flash tube.
- How can I manually trigger the Retra Flash? You can trigger the Retra Flash optically (SL mode) or via electrical cable (ON mode).
- What is ON mode? ON is manual mode with triggering only via an electrical cable. It is the most basic mode and does not require pre-flash cancellation.
- What is SL mode? SL (optical slave mode) triggers only via optical cable and normally it triggers the flash upon detection of short pulsed light - flash. The smart pre-flash cancellation can be enabled with a separate control while in SL mode. It will probably be a long press of the pilot light button.
- What is TTL mode? TTL is only available via optical cables as S-TTL (slave TTL). It can be adjusted +/- 2EV in 0.5 steps.
- Where is the optical trigger located? The optical trigger is located on the back of the strobe below the power dial.
- What kind of optical cables are compatible? Inon and Sea&Sea optical cables are both compatible. The optical connector is threaded for Inon and the cap for the optical connector has a hole for the Sea&Sea plug.
- How does TTL work? TTL is only available via optical cables as S-TTL (slave TTL). There is no electrical TTL option.
- How is the strobe protected against overheating? We have built-in heat fuses which temporarily disable the strobe if it gets to hot in certain critical areas, including the batteries. This means you can't damage the strobe with repeated flashes. It turns itself off until it's cooled down. Aluminium housing helps a lot.
- I use a compact camera which can only fire with pre-flash, how can I fire the Retra Flash on manual settings? Retra Flash has a smart pre-flash cancellation mode which learns the pre-flash of your camera and ignores them.
- Can I use TTL with electrical cables? There is no electrical TTL option. TTL is only available via optical cables as S-TTL (slave TTL).
- Is the battery compartment sealed internally so it can not flood the inside of the strobe? Yes, the battery compartment is sealed internally. If you accidentally flood the battery compartment, there will be no damage to the inside of the strobe.
- Is the electrical connector sealed internally so it can not flood the inside of the strobe? Yes, the electrical connector is sealed internally. If you accidentally flood the battery compartment, there will be no damage to the inside of the strobe.
- What if water get's inside the strobe? If water get's inside the strobe the damage will be covered by warranty. This excludes the battery compartment and the electrical connector compartment.
- How many O-rings does the battery compartment have? The battery compartment lid uses a single 3mm diameter O-ring.
- What are the electrical connector options? S&S 5 pin, S6, N5 and Ikelite 5 pin.
- What is the additional battery compartment going to be like? We will give the full specifications before we start shipping the strobe. Some hints to what can be expected: additional 4x standard AA batteries, recharge time around 1,5s (AA eneloop pro’s) and full power flash 300x. If you order your strobe before June 2017 you will be able to purchase the additional battery compartment before your package is shipped.
- Are there going to be any other accessories included in the package besides the warm diffuser? Not all of the accessories that will be included with the strobe are presented at the moment. At least another collar for reducing the angle of light will be added.
- Will there be additional diffusers (dome type) and funnel snoots? We are planning more accessories which will be presented before the strobe starts shipping. If you order your strobe before June 2017 you will be able to purchase them before your package is shipped.
- Will the Retra Flash electrical connector trigger with the new Nauticam electronics? Yes, the production version of the Retra Flash will be triggered with the new Nauticam electronics just the same as Z-240’s and YS-D1/D2’s. The problem was only with the prototype Alex tested which used the most primitive X to GND triggering method.
- Will there be a comparison between the Retra Flash and other popular strobes? Yes, before we start shipping the Retra Flash we will compare it against some popular strobes on recycle time, light pattern and guide numbers.
- Which battery types are supported? At the moment we only support the use of AA size Ni-Mh, Ni-Cd and Alkaline batteries.
- Can I use Li-ion or Li-Po AA size batteries? Out of safety reasons only supported battery types can be used with the Retra Flash.
- When does the Retra Flash start shipping? Orders are expected to start shipping in June 2017 on the principle "first order in - first order out". An exact shipping date for your order will be set in May.
- Will the Retra Flash work with existing external optical triggers which require a power supply from the electrical connector like the Triggerfish and RSU? No, the Retra Flash will not work with existing external optical triggers which require a power supply from the electrical connector. We are planning our own external optical trigger which will be announced later this year.
- Why do I have to make the payment now if the shipping starts in June 2017? The reason for the discount is because we are still in the process of developing the strobe and your contribution will help us cover the material costs of the first production batch.
If you haven't found the answer to your question above please let us know by using the contact form below.
You can order the Retra Flash here.